Reject snaps that are identical to previous revision?

Daniel Manrique daniel.manrique at canonical.com
Mon Feb 6 15:27:31 UTC 2017

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 2:05 AM, Spencer Parkin <spencertparkin at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I'm sure it comes as no surprise to the readers of this mailing list
> that I am a complete moron; and as further evidence of that, I recently
> uploaded a "new" snap that was actually identical to the revision I already
> had released to my victu...I mean, customers.  Does it seem reasonable for
> the automated snap vetting process to reject the snap or at least warn me
> about it in the event that it hashes to the exact same hash as that of the
> previous release?  It's just an idea that I thought I might throw out there.
> Cheers.  Beers.  And chocolate.

Hello,

The store will warn you and not accept an upload which has the same
content (determined by the hash) as any existing upload.

If you use the web UI to upload, you'll get:

"binary_sha3_384: A file with this exact same content has already been uploaded"

If you use snapcraft:

> snapcraft push hello-uptest-1_2_amd64.snap
Uploading hello-uptest-1_2_amd64.snap [===================================] 100%
Ready to release!|
Revision 1 of 'hello-uptest-1' created.
> snapcraft push hello-uptest-1_2_amd64.snap
Uploading hello-uptest-1_2_amd64.snap
[====================================================] 100%
Error while processing...|
Uploaded 'hello-uptest-1'
There has been a problem while analyzing the snap, check the snap and
try to push again.

This message can be improved to give a clearer report (like the web UI
does) and perhaps some tips on how to overcome the problem, I
requested the improvement here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/snapcraft/+bug/1662206

Cheers,

- Daniel