license.txt and snap/ directory

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Tue Feb 7 00:46:04 UTC 2017

On 07/02/17 00:24, Kyle Fazzari wrote:
> The fact that an empty directory is created here is a bug[1]. It should
> only create that directory if there's something to put in there. What
> Sergio is saying is this:
>
> Snapcraft-specific things, like hooks from snapcraft parts, command
> wrappers (eventually, not yet) will end up in the snap/ directory of the
> built snap. This has no bearing on the snap format, it's something
> internal to snapcraft (it could just as easily have chosen to place
> those things in the foo/ directory).
>
> The things in meta/ are specific to snapd. This directory is literally
> what defines "this random squashfs image" to be a snap.

OK, makes sense.  BTW, I hope I didn't come over as overly negative in my reply
to Sergio: if so it wasn't intended.

Can I however raise a plea that `meta/` should contain licensing information as
a requirement?  Even if it's not actively used by snapd right now, it makes
sense as a location and it would also make sense (in future) to be able to do
things like

     snap license whatever

to check the available licensing information.

More generally, it seems like a good idea to me that (i) snap packages must
contain licensing information, (ii) it will be available in a standardized
location both in the snap package definition and the generated snap package, and
(iii) this will be enforced/guaranteed by snapcraft.