Building for different architectures

Alan Pope alan.pope at canonical.com
Tue Feb 7 16:07:03 UTC 2017

Hi,

Suppose I have a snap which requires a couple of non-archive debs as
stage packages. Typically I'd have a part for each which uses the
source: of a url directly to the deb using the dump plugin. This works
fine building on my amd64 laptop (or wherever) and I end up with an
amd64 snap.

However, if I get a request for an i386 (or indeed armhf) snap, it
will break because my i386 snapcraft run will pull an amd64 deb. If I
was pulling archive packages then of course the build can run in
launchpad and it will do the Right Thing. However, if my yaml contains
hard coded arch-specific (non-archive) debs, that breaks, pulling in
amd64 deb on an i386 builder.

I could have separate yamls per arch of course, but that seems
needlessly messy. What have others done in this case?

Cheers,
--
Alan Pope
Community Manager

Canonical - Ubuntu Engineering and Services
+44 (0) 7973 620 164
alan.pope at canonical.com
http://ubuntu.com/