Is there a way to prompt users to connect a non-auto-connect interface during installation?

Aaron Hampton aaron.hampt at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 09:30:22 UTC 2017

Hi,

I am working on snapping a desktop application that needs access to
hardware-observe. Is there a way to prompt the user to connect the
interface during the installation of the snap? Or is the only way to have
the user run snap connect?

I found this comment:

"
Just to state the plan of record, we intend that store assertions can
pre-approve
some auto-connection, or cue up a prompt for interactive installations
where the user is asked if they want to connect.

So in your case, the experience should become something like:

  $ sudo snap install handbrake
  Allow 'handbrake' to access DVDs? (Y/N) Y
  handbrake 1.3.2 installed

"

In this thread:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/snapcraft/2016-October/001281.html

That's exactly the type of interaction I'm looking to implement, but I
haven't been able to find any more information about it.

If that's not available yet, is there any other recommended method for
connecting interfaces that might be a little easier for less
knowledgeable end users?

Thanks again!

Aaron