New stable "core" and "ubuntu-core" snaps released

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 17 10:13:50 UTC 2017

We do anticipate being able to send a message to devices that want to
know when a new version of a snap is available in a particular channel.
We call it 'real-time refresh' because it would enable the subscribing
devices to refresh themselves the instant a new version of the snap was
released.

In this case, what's interesting is that you want to KNOW that the new
version is released, but then drive a process which is not
simplistically "refresh this device". Still, the message could serve as
the trigger - you have a device which is getting these real-time
notifications, and you hook into the event to then trigger your test
suites. Essentially, you would have a canary device which gets the
real-time refresh, and then triggers your test suites.

I think it's appropriate that we have an interface to snapd which is a
stream of events, like "I just refreshed this snap". You could tap that
stream for the new snap notice, and then trigger your test suites.

Mark