[Dragonboard410c] Ubuntu OS Build Issues, and Support

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 17 11:27:46 UTC 2017

hi,
Am Freitag, den 17.02.2017, 10:06 +0000 schrieb Sunny Bhayani:

> You are correct that in the prebuilt image (Ubuntu OS) for
> Dragonboard, the Wifi
> module is auto-loaded during boot. But in our case, this does not
> happen.
>
> So can you please let us know, that in what part (plugin) of the
> snapcraft.yaml
> do we need to mention the kernel modules that needs to be auto-loaded
> during the
> kernel boot.
>
> We tried to add the kernel module in the snapcraft.yaml as below:
>
>   kernel-initrd-modules:
>              - squashfs
>              - wcn36xx

this would just pull the module into the initrd which would be useless,
since we do not ship any userspace bits for WIFI support in there.
if you can modprobe it it is obviously already in the right place in
your /lib/modules dir on the booted system, so first of all remove it
from the list above. having it already loaded from the initrd on boot
might make it miss the right initialization since it wont find all the
userspace bits that it needs in the initrd.

also make sure you have the firmware in the right place on the booted
rootfs, this is how it looks like on the official dragoboard image:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/24012991/

> Also, we went through the kernel-initrd-modules description:
> https://snapcraft.io/docs/reference/plugins/kernel
>
> and there it is mentioned that the "kernel-initrd-modules" plugin is
> used to
> mention the modules required to mount the rootfs.

this means filesystem or disk controller modules (squashfs, ext4 (if
you do not compile it in), mmc support and the like), since your system
boots to a rootfs already you should not need anything more than you
currently have.

> It would be great if you can please help us out on this front as well
> for the
> snap list / snap install for the Ubuntu OS.

this definitely means that snapd did not start for some reason, like i
mentioned before this could be caused by the firstboot initialization
of the board having failed or by some missing feature that snapd
expects from your kernel.

does sudo journalctl -u snapd.service reveal anything ?
do you find anything interesting in syslog in general ?

> Yes. We are using a USB to Ethernet module on dragonboard to use the
> Ethernet.

did you check if  the behaviour of the WLAN device changes when booting
without the USB dongle attached ?

> While using the prebuilt image for Dragonboard, we are able to
> configure the
> access point for Wifi interface in the first boot screen, but then
> while doing
> ssh to the board, it is asking for password (during first boot). How
> can we
> resolve this ?

did console-conf (the first boot configuration UI) actually finish the
user creation properly (did it tell you about it and give you info
about how to ssh into the board) without any errors ?

/var/log/console-conf/subiquity-debug.log might be informative here.

ciao
	oli