Determining the set of snapd capabilities

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Sun Feb 19 15:30:22 UTC 2017

On 19/02/17 12:07, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> This would be super-useful.  Conversely, to what extent might it be
> possible to guide the package developer to a clear understanding of
> what capabilities a particular snap package assumes?

Hmm... that's a Turing-complete problem :)

However, a useful approach would be to run the snap through an automated
test process using a range of supported platforms. For example, spinning
up VMs of snapd-supporting distros, and testing the snap there.

As a precursor to that we would want to have health mechanism which
provide a standard way to know if a snap considers itself healthy. Then
we could run a service for developers which screens a snap for health
across a wide range of devices and VMs, including the commonly used
versions of snapd in those environments, to pick up potential problems
and make such recommendations.

Mark