Experimental Python interpreter snap

James Henstridge james.henstridge at canonical.com
Mon Feb 20 04:41:35 UTC 2017

On 20 February 2017 at 10:45, XiaoGuo Liu <xiaoguo.liu at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> Nice. This is a nice example showing how to reduce a python snap package.  A
> few days ago, I also made a small example to make use of the python3 coming
> with the core at:
>
> https://github.com/liu-xiao-guo/httpstat
>
> In the above example, I in fact do not package the python. It works.

So I guess the main differences are that this makes it easy to use a
newer version of Python than existed at the time Xenial was released.
I suspect I could also build a Python 2.7 snap using the same
techniques, if you want to go in the other direction.

The Python in my snap is also set up to automatically use packages
included in your own snap without fiddling with environment variables
or sys.path.

James.