New stable "core" and "ubuntu-core" snaps released

Selene Scriven selene.scriven at canonical.com
Mon Feb 20 20:55:01 UTC 2017

* Manik Taneja <manik at canonical.com> wrote:
> * Max Brustkern <max.brustkern at canonical.com> wrote:
> > I'd like to trigger tests to run when new core snaps are
> > available in the stable and candidate channels. What's the
> > best way to check that?
>
> i suspect that you will like to run tests after installing a
> newer rev of a snap from the candidate/stable channels. at the
> moment, i believe your best option is to poll the store for a
> newer revision. once available, update the device explicitly
> using snap refresh <snap-name> and than run whatever tests you
> like. if its a snap that you published yourself, you could run
> hooks on install automatically that can trigger whatever tests
> you like.
> moving forward, we will need to work on a better approach via
> push-notifications (perhaps) that will tell a device about a
> new revision and also allow the capability to install it
> immediately, instead of waiting for the next update-timer to
> kick in.

What's happening is a host server is checking for updates to
everything in a default install.  When updates are found, the
host builds a brand new set of images, flashes them to every
supported device, and runs a large test suite on each.  After the
test suite is done, the device is considered dirty and not used
again until it's reflashed.  In some cases, the devices are
virtual and get deleted after the tests finish.  Automatic
updates (snap refresh timer) generally invalidate the test
results, and should be disabled.

For now, I suspect we'll just do a lot of polling.

-- Selene