snap connect myapp:camera out-of-the-box

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 21 16:15:30 UTC 2017

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 21.02.2017, 11:03 -0500 schrieb Dev Dev:
> Hi,
>
> Anyone can give me more information (ETA, how it will works) about
> the
> connection to camera. Right now, I need to ask my users who installed
> myapp via the Software Center to open a terminal and run:
> sudo snap connect myapp:camera
>
> It needs to be automagically connected.

if that was the case, what would keep me from creating "myapp-so-much-
more-shiny" that then quietly and constantly streams the camera pic to
some website without the user knowing ? (and also since i used the
myapp name in my snap your company might even get the blame for the
spying as well as the bad press around it)

the manual connection of some risky interfaces is exactly what keeps
the users safe from bad stuff happening, we would not need interfaces
if we connected all of them automatically.

i agree that having a more interactive way is the way to go here ...
i.e. if you install a gui app it should ask for the connection on first
access (and only on first) ... or when installing from cmdline it might
offer the connection at install time, but such potentially security
critical interfaces should really not auto-connect.

ciao
	oli