snap connect myapp:camera out-of-the-box

Jamie Strandboge jamie at canonical.com
Tue Feb 21 17:12:32 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-02-21 at 13:23 -0300, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> Actually, we do have a mechanism that enables the automatic connections in
> those cases, and we can enable it in sensible cases, even for the camera.
>
> The question we should ask here is this: what is the snap purpose?  Is it
> clear from the snap name and description that this is using a camera?
>
> If the answer yes, then I think it's fine to auto-connect.
>
> In this particular case, the snap name is called "webcam-webui". IMO, it'd
> be fine to auto-connect it.  Jamie?

In general, I agree with what you described for special cases where it is
obvious what the snap is and its functionality can be deduced. Personally, I
think that where it is obvious should be the snap name, not the description,
because people tend to only see the snap name and the description can change at
a later date to not meet our review criteria.

While the bug refers to 'webcam-webui', I spoke with the 'Dev Dev' on irc and
the snap in question is actually 'Bayam' and the description in the store is
"Bayam, jeux, découvertes et activités pour enfants" which google translate
tells me is "Bayam, games, discoveries and activities for children". Nothing in
that would give me the expectation that the snap would have access to the
camera. I then explained how interfaces work and why and did not grant the snap
declaration. I then advised the conversation should be taken here in part to ask
"What are the plans for making snap connections easier for cli, snapweb and
gnome-software installs and what is the timeline of that work?"