New stable "core" and "ubuntu-core" snaps released

Paul Larson paul.larson at canonical.com
Tue Feb 21 17:25:57 UTC 2017

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Selene Scriven
<selene.scriven at canonical.com> wrote:
> What's happening is a host server is checking for updates to
> everything in a default install.  When updates are found, the
> host builds a brand new set of images, flashes them to every
> supported device, and runs a large test suite on each.  After the
> test suite is done, the device is considered dirty and not used
> again until it's reflashed.  In some cases, the devices are
> virtual and get deleted after the tests finish.  Automatic
> updates (snap refresh timer) generally invalidate the test
> results, and should be disabled.
>
> For now, I suspect we'll just do a lot of polling.
Not sure if this helps, but for the things I run, when it detects
there is a new candidate snap that I need to test, it does the
following:
1. Install the most recent image
2. snap refresh (get everything up to the current stable)
3. snap refresh --candidate [snapname] (so we *just* get the candidate
snap for the new one that we want to test)
4. force a reboot
5. disable updates (for added paranoia, because yes I really did see a
stable update to a snap that triggered a reboot in the middle of a
test once!)

Then you can have a clean system that just contains the latest stable
version plus the candidate for the thing you want to test.