Position-independent code and Ubuntu 16.10

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Tue Feb 21 22:01:48 UTC 2017

On 21/02/17 22:47, Seth Arnold wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 10:12:25PM +0100, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
>> First, I'd thought that Ubuntu 16.04's GCC already generated
>> position-independent code by default, but was this in fact only introduced
>> with 16.10 ... ?
>
> Correct, this was changed for 16.10:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/YakketyYak/ReleaseNotes#GCC

OK, thanks for the clarification.  So this raises the question ... can/should
snapcraft ensure this option is used when building snap packages?

It's obviously not an issue for most apps, but any snap exposing a development
library in any way is presumably going to risk being unusable on 16.10 or later
if the package author doesn't realize this is necessary.