Position-independent code and Ubuntu 16.10

Seth Arnold seth.arnold at canonical.com
Tue Feb 21 23:08:15 UTC 2017

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 11:01:48PM +0100, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> OK, thanks for the clarification.  So this raises the question ...
> can/should snapcraft ensure this option is used when building snap packages?
>
> It's obviously not an issue for most apps, but any snap exposing a
> development library in any way is presumably going to risk being unusable on
> 16.10 or later if the package author doesn't realize this is necessary.

Position independent executables have been supported for many years;
the recent change was to make this the default output format, so that we
can increase the amount of system services and programs that can benefit
from the address space layout randomization exploit mitigation.

Fixed-position executables continue to be supported and we have no plans
to forbid them.

Libraries are usually compiled as position independent code; this has not
changed.

As far as I know, only nginx and the linux kernel were affected by these
changes. (Sorry kernel developers. I know git bisect is harder.)

Thanks