HOWTO: How to snap timg (text image viewer)

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 28 23:05:19 UTC 2017

Hi All,

Here is a tutorial on how to snap "timg", an image viewer for your
terminal emulator (!?!),
https://blog.simos.info/how-to-create-a-snap-for-timg-with-snapcraft-on-ubuntu/

It is another introductory tutorial that
1. describes an interesting utility (image view for text)
2. deals with a repository that does not have a typical Makefile, thus
it requires to use parameters of the "make" plugin.
3. talks about classic and strict confinement. Decides on "strict",
with plugs: [home].
4. the snap uses two additional libraries, and we make sure that the
relevant code is included in the snap.

I also show how to test the snap by installing it in a fresh ubuntu:x
LXD container.
(because the snap might have dynamically linked libraries that
happened to be already installed on my desktop).

Upon further thinking, I believe that I did not have to use a fresh
LXD container, because the "strict" confinement would preclude anyway
the snap from using any of my desktop's existing system libraries.
Isn't that indeed the case?

Simos