Package naming clashes

Sergio Schvezov sergio.schvezov at canonical.com
Tue Jan 3 11:22:22 UTC 2017

Hi!

El 03/01/17 a las 06:42, Luther Goh Lu Feng escribió:
> I am sure that there is precedence and guidelines in place, but I couldn't to find the search result.
>
> Say someone in the community builds a snap for nginx, and later doesnt keep the snap up to date. Then another person builds a more updated nginx snap. How are the package names chosen so that there would be collisions, and people know that they are installing the latest working version?

Snap names that are really popular are all marked as reserved, so when
you try to `snapcraft register` it you will get a "The name
'<snap-name>' is reserved" and a link to a dispute form. A similar
workflow for an already registered name exists.

> Is there some sort of handing and taking over for the package name from maintainer to maintainer? How is it done with Ubuntu deb packages at the moment? Thanks

There are mechanisms to share or transfer responsibility. Other new
workflows to enhance the experience are coming. Are you facing a
specific problem already?

In the case of debs, it is mostly free for all if you are a core
developer or you can sign up to be a maintainer using the appropriate
channels[1]. There is one caveat, it is rather easy while the
distribution series is under development but if not, you need to go
through the SRUing process [2].

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DeveloperMembershipBoard/ApplicationProcess
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates