Kernel plugin: Avoid redownloading os.snap on a local Git repo

Dalton me at daltondurst.com
Sun Jan 8 19:20:07 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

Is there any way to get Snapcraft to pull the git source of a kernel at
every build without cleaning the entire build directory?

Currently, if I make a change to my kernel source (I'm using a source
in '.' in my case) then commit it, Snapcraft simply ignores the changes
since it has pulled the source previously, printing 'Skipping pull
kernel (already ran)'. I have to run 'snapcraft clean' in order to get
it to pull the (local) source again. Snapcraft then goes on and
redownloads 'os.snap', a 60MB file, again. On a fast connection, this
is no problem. I'm on a slightly slower connection that also has a data
cap, so this is a waste of both time and bits.

It seems like there are two ways to avoid this: A way to cache os.snap
locally, or a way to have Snapcraft run 'git pull' to grab source
changes into its working directory. Is either possible right now?

If it helps, my current snapcraft.yaml can be found here:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/23766072/

(Yes, I understand that a 3.4 kernel probably won't run Snaps very
well, if at all)

Thanks,
Dalton