Unicode characters break snap

Thomi Richards thomi.richards at canonical.com
Mon Jan 9 20:07:00 UTC 2017

Hi,

When I build and install a snap from your git repository it prints the
contents of my environment to the screen and exits 0.

By 'minimal reproducer' I mean a small, self-contained example that
demonstrates the problem. Most often the process of making such an example
will highlight the problem for you. Some hints can be found here:
http://sscce.org/

I'd be more than happy to take a look at a small example the reproduces the
problem. I can't reproduce the issue from your current git repository
though.

Cheers,

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 7:14 PM, Gareth France <gareth.france at cliftonts.co.uk
> wrote:

> On 09/01/17 06:12, Michael Nelson wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 5:03 PM Gareth France <
> gareth.france at cliftonts.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> On 09/01/17 00:20, Thomi Richards wrote:
>>
>> This sounds like you may be running into unicode encoding issues in your
>> python source files. https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0263/ has the
>> full details, but the tl,dr version is that if you have unicode literals in
>> your python source file you need something like "# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-"
>> at the top of your file. The python interpreter inspects your environment
>> to determine the correct encoding to use, but your environment in a
>> confined snap probably doesn't provide the same hints...
>>

>> If that doesn't work, can you build a minimal reproducer for us to look
>> at?
>>
>> Afraid not, still doing the same thing. Just one question. What on earth
>> is a minimal reproducer?
>>

> Just a paste of an example snapcraft.yaml with which other people can
> reproduce the issue... it could be your current snapcraft.yaml, or
> something cut down to be simpler but still reproduces the issue. That'll
> help someone else debug it locally.
>

> Everything is available here:
> https://github.com/cliftonts/RokuTerm.git

Thomi Richards