Ubuntu Core: how the file-system works

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 20 16:33:34 UTC 2017

On 20/01/17 08:03, Luca Dionisi wrote:
> If I understand it correctly, an unconfined app will be able in the
> system
> to do whatever my standard user would be able to. For instance, if I
> log into my ubucore16 (the name of my KVM instance) and issue:
>  sudo sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
>     -or-
>  sudo ip address add 10.0.0.10 dev eth0
> it reports success. Thus, if I run an unconfined app which tries to do the
> same it will succeed. Whilst a strictly confined app would not, if it is
> not hooked to a certain capability.
> So far, so good?

Ubuntu Core is confined-snaps-only. Ubuntu Classic allows less confined
snaps.

The commands you're wanting to run should be fine, though, with the
right interfaces in place for your confined snap on Ubuntu Core. I think
you meant that when you said 'hooked for a certain capability'. The
devmode confinement should also be a useful workaround in your
development process.

Mark