Snap package licenses

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 23:58:09 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 5:35 PM, Mark Shuttleworth <mark at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> We should allow a plaintext field there for this situation. Yes, go
> ahead with "Other open source".

It would probably make sense to support SPDX license tags and
expressions[1]. This is used in AppStream, so a great amount of
software is already classified in this manner. Furthermore, openSUSE
uses SPDX tags for their license metadata for packages, and Debian
uses a subset of it as part of the copyright file structure in Debian
Source Control packaging.

While we in Fedora use our own license tag list[2] that predates SPDX
(used by a great deal of Linux distributions), we maintain a mapping
to SPDX for AppStream support.

Having verifiable license information (either Fedora style or SPDX
style) is also useful for ensuring things are "compatible" or
"desired" on a system, depending on whatever preference you may have.

[1]: https://spdx.org/licenses/
[2]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main#Software_License_List