[SPAM] snapping with Qt vs. wx

Alberto Mardegan alberto.mardegan at canonical.com
Tue Jan 31 08:32:10 UTC 2017

Hi Spencer,
  your mail is definitely not spam. It's a bit off-topic, possibly :-)

On 30/01/2017 20:27, Spencer Parkin wrote:
> I was just curious what people's preferences were for snaps: Qt or wx?
> I believe Qt has support for mobile devices, but I don't think wxWidgets
> does.  Other than that, should I switch over to using Qt?  I've been a
> wxWidgets guy for a long time, and I'm a big fan of it.  What do you
> think?  Is there something better than either?

I don't know wx much; I love Qt and QML and I'd recommend you to at
least have a try at it, then you decide for yourself.

> I've never written a mobile app, but if I did, I might look into the
> Ubuntu phone platform.  I own an iPhone, though.  Is Ubuntu phone better?

Well, I'm in love with my Ubuntu phone, but it's not for everyone. If
you are a geek, then it's probably the best thing you could ever dream
of, but it has its shortcomings (which will eventually be addressed).

But Qt does run on iOS too, so there's no need for you to switch, if you
only want to try out Qt on mobile.

As far as snaps are concerned, you definitely want to know that the snap
format is not supported by iOS, nor (currently) by Ubuntu phones.

Ciao,
  Alberto