Running xdg-open

Alberto Mardegan alberto.mardegan at canonical.com
Fri Mar 3 14:02:00 UTC 2017

Hi all!
  Currently the xdg-open tool is provided by the core snap, which has it
located in its /usr/local/bin/ path.
Unfortunately, this means that other snaps cannot run it, unless they
have /usr/local/bin in their PATH. Consequently, I filed a bug against
the desktop helpers script [1] requesting a modification to include that
path into PATH.

Didier asked me to write here, to get a better understanding of the
plans: is the core snap to be updated and have the xdg-open tool in /bin
or /usr/bin? If so, do you have a bug or would you like to have one
filed? :-)

I've seen the xdg-open tool mentioned a few times in the past here in
the mailing list, but I haven't found a definite answer.

Ciao,
  Alberto

[1] https://github.com/ubuntu/snapcraft-desktop-helpers/pull/58