Request for etcdctl alias autoconnect

Charles Butler charles.butler at canonical.com
Mon Mar 6 17:49:56 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 11:44 AM Jamie Strandboge <jamie at canonical.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2017-03-06 at 17:26 +0000, Charles Butler wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I think this in itself would be preferable.  My concerns would be
> collision
> > while the deb is still installed which is a short window in the charm
> path.
> >
> > I think `snap alias etcd.etcdctl etcdctl` is the desired outcome here, so
> > we aren't changing commands. I've worked around this in the interim by
> > setting aliases in layer.yaml for paths. I would prefer to drop this
> > workaround in favor of aliases for the snap.
> >

> Are you saying that you like that the alias is now automatically applied
> or that
> you want to remove the auto-alias and have the alias to continue to be
> manually
> applied?

Correct me if i'm wrong here - i'm still pretty new to the feature.

Auto-aliasing would return feedback if there is a detected collision
correct? So I think requesting it at point of install automatically is the
desired behavior. If you encounter a scenario where an etcdctl exists, you
can handle that collision manually and then setup the alias 'snap alias
etcd.etcdctl etcd'.

I think this outlines how I expected it to work. Sorry if that was less
clear in my prior mail.