Handling versioning of platform snaps

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 7 13:06:46 UTC 2017

Hi Tim

Welcome aboard, and thank you, this is exactly the type of question we
want to be solving together on this list.

The simplest approach would be to insert a major version/ABI indcation
in the platform snap name. Something like lirios3 and lirios4 would be a
very explicit way to provided different versions of your libraries. It
would have the major benefit that both platform snaps could be installed
at the same time, too, enabling a more natural app transition (each app
can choose when to hop from 3 to 4) rather than a big-bang flag day for
each device. The downside would be the incremental size of having both
installed at once during that transition, but we continually see that
'time is more precious than disk space' so giving users a low-friction
way to 'just work' is more useful than saving 0.2 GB of their 1 TB disk.

It might be worth looking into the linking of apps to particular tracks,
but this raises a lot of tricky questions that I suspect would be a
swamp with more problems than solutions.

Does that sound like a reasonable starting point?

Mark