snapcraft 2.27 has been released

Joe Coates jcoates at extremenetworks.com
Tue Mar 7 22:06:58 UTC 2017

This thread got sidetracked to a different discussion, but I am seeing issues related to the original question.
I have a simple test app which looks like this in snapcraft .yaml:
apps:
  tester:
    command: usr/bin/echo-vars.sh
    environment:
      MY_RO_AREA: $SNAP
      MY_RO_AREA_BAD: $SNAP/etc/myro
      MY_RW_AREA: $SNAP_DATA
      MY_RW_AREA_BAD: $SNAP_DATA/myrw
    plugs: [ network, network-bind ]

The command simply echos the values of those variables like this:    echo "MY_RO_AREA = $MY_RO_AREA"

On Ubuntu-core the literal part of the string is doubled:

jwcoates at localhost:~$ snap run tester
MY_RO_AREA = /snap/tester/x1
MY_RO_AREA_BAD = /snap/tester/x1/etc/myro/etc/myro                   <<<<<<<<<
MY_RW_AREA = /var/snap/tester/x1
MY_RW_AREA_BAD = /var/snap/tester/x1/myrw/myrw                         <<<<<<<<<
jwcoates at localhost:~$ snap --version
snap    2.23
snapd   2.23
series  16
kernel  4.4.0-53-generic

On Ubuntu classic the $SNAP variables are not expanded (exact same snap executed):
netop at Snappy-Appliance:~$ sudo snap run tester
MY_RO_AREA = $SNAP
MY_RO_AREA_BAD = $SNAP/etc/myro
MY_RW_AREA = $SNAP_DATA
MY_RW_AREA_BAD = $SNAP_DATA/myrw

netop at Snappy-Appliance:~$ snap --version
snap    2.22.7
snapd   2.22.7
series  16
ubuntu  16.04