Further ABI-related issues for ldc2 snap on 14.04 ... ?

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Fri Mar 10 22:01:58 UTC 2017

On 05/03/17 14:10, Sergio Schvezov wrote:
> I think you have come to a cross roads where you will need to choose to either
> always use the linker from the core snap and link to things from your snap or
> provide multiple zlib targets for different versions of glibc (or any other
> library you want to link with and provide it in your snap).
>
> If you are going to have things like
> /snap/core/current/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 you would certainly want
> to use the linker in core. If you are going to use /usr/bin/gcc you probably
> shouldn't include libraries from `/snap/...`.
>
> I am sorry that I cannot help you more without deep diving into your project.

First off, no need for apologies.  This is obviously quite an esoteric issue,
and I shared it more with the thought that it might be interesting than with any
expectation that anyone would be able to help.  You've already been super
generous with your time and support!

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by "use the linker from the core snap".
AFAICS the core snap doesn't contain ld or gcc or any toolchain ... ?

If you mean when building the contents of the snap, I'm just doing a regular
`snapcraft cleanbuild`, no special magic to select particular gcc or binutils
versions.