Part 2! Request for help / ideas to debug issue

Michael Hudson-Doyle michael.hudson at canonical.com
Mon Mar 13 22:26:26 UTC 2017

On 14 March 2017 at 10:05, Michael Hudson-Doyle <
michael.hudson at canonical.com> wrote:

> On 14 March 2017 at 01:59, John Lenton <john.lenton at canonical.com> wrote:
>
>> This one is slightly more interesting.
>>
>> You need 1.8 (or patched <1.8 as per the previous thread) for this one
>> to make sense; without it you're just going to get drowned in warning
>> messages and not see the real issue.
>>
>> This one is the real issue :-)
>>

> Ah _hah_!
>

>> In go, when calling syscall.Exec to a setuid root binary, sometimes
>> (about 4% of the times, on my machine, but it's hardware- and
>> load-dependent), the exec'ed process will find itself running with
>> effective uid different to zero. That is, a setuid root binary will
>> find itself running as non-root. As the process that sets up
>> confinement is setuid root (in distros where setuid is favoured over
>> capabilities), this means the snap app falls on its face.
>>
>>     TODO: check if something similar happens when using caps
>>
>> This is *probably* a bug in Go, but it only seems to arise when using
>> syscall.Exec, which as far as I can tell is unsupported (the whole
>> syscall package is unsupported -- not covered by the go1 compatibility
>> promise -- and its replacement, golang.org/x/sys/unix, is ominously
>> missing Exec).
>>
>> Having said that, it might be a bug in the kernel ;-)
>> And I say this because if you pin the process to a single cpu, the
>> issue doesn't arise.
>>
>> Anyway, code to repro this is at
>> https://gist.github.com/chipaca/806c90d96c437444f27f45a83d00a813
>>
>> on my machine,
>>
>> $ for i in `seq -w 9999`; do ./a_c; done | wc -l
>> 0
>> $ for i in `seq -w 9999`; do ./a_go; done | wc -l
>> 394
>>
>> And,
>>
>> $ for i in `seq -w 9999`; do taskset 2 ./a_go; done | wc -l
>> 0
>>
>> Gnarly!
>>

> That's pretty exciting.  I bet this is going to have the same underlying
> cause as the other bug: something some other thread in the go process is
> doing is causing the kernel to ignore the setuid bit. If I add a
> time.Sleep(1*time.Millisecond) to a_go.go before the exec, the setuid bit
> is respected every time. It doesn't help that setuid is ignored when
> tracing or that strace likes to hang when you trace a_go.
>
> I spent a while staring at the kernel source but I don't really have any
> idea how this might be happening. It might be this code
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/
> security/commoncap.c#L549-L561, but I don't know how to be sure (well,
> without building kernels to do debugging-via-kprint or whatever).

Perhaps unsurprisingly, I think what the other go threads are doing that is
causing the problem is -- as before -- calling clone(). I can reproduce
with a C program I wrote to call it as much as possible:

mwhudson at aeglos:/opt/opensource/go-test-cases/setuid-lossage$ cat a_c2.c
#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <pthread.h>
#include <time.h>

void* nothing(void *p) {
return NULL;
}

void run_do_nothing_thread() {
pthread_t t;
if (pthread_create(&t, NULL, nothing, NULL) == 0) {
pthread_join(t, NULL);
}
}

void* target(void *p) {
while (1) {
run_do_nothing_thread();
}
return NULL;
}

void run_spinner_thread() {
pthread_t t;
pthread_create(&t, NULL, target, NULL);
}

int main() {
    struct timespec tv;
    for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
run_spinner_thread();
    }
    tv.tv_sec = 0;
    tv.tv_nsec = 100000;
    nanosleep(&tv, NULL);
    int rv = execl("./b", "./b", NULL);
    printf("WHAAT! %d\n", rv);
    return 0;
}
mwhudson at aeglos:/opt/opensource/go-test-cases/setuid-lossage$ cc -Wall
 a_c2.c   -o a_c2 -lpthread
mwhudson at aeglos:/opt/opensource/go-test-cases/setuid-lossage$ for i in `seq
1000`; do ./a_c2; done | wc -l
23

Looking at the kernel again, I think it might be some kind of race between
all the copying of kernel structures that happens in the clone syscall and
the checking that happens around exec? Pretty hairy though.

Cheers,
mwh