build.snapcraft.io and GitHub groups

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Sat Mar 18 01:42:19 UTC 2017

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 12:49:15AM +0100, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> I thought I'd give build.snapcraft.io a go for my ldc2 snap.  Signing in was
> fine, and I was asked to give permission both for accessing my account and
> the ldc-developers group which I'm part of (where the ldc2 snap is managed).
>
> However, when being asked to choose a GitHub repo, I was presented only with
> repos from my own personal GitHub, and none belonging to ldc-developers --
> so I couldn't add the official repo of the ldc2 snap.
>
> This was a little bit surprising given that I was explicitly asked to OK
> access by build.snapcraft.io to the ldc-developers group, so ... any chance
> this could be addressed? :-)

As others have mentioned, this is definitely in our backlog.  It's
tricky to map the different models together in a way that doesn't end up
locking people out just because (e.g.) a previous administrator of their
GitHub organisation once created a snap for a repository and later
deleted it, but I'm sure we'll get there in the end.

(We actually don't intentionally ask for organisation access at the
moment; I guess perhaps GitHub does that as part of admin:repo_hook?
Anyway, it's immaterial since we'll need it eventually.)

> Assuming it might not be soon, I assume the best option would be to use
> Launchpad as documented here:
> https://snapcraft.io/docs/build-snaps/ci-integration
>
> ... but is it possible to do this via a project registered on behalf of a
> team, instead of an individual user account?

The "Create a new snap package" page in Launchpad allows you to select
an owner for the snap, which can be yourself or any team you're a member
of.  This will allow anyone in that team to modify that snap in
Launchpad (including requesting builds of it).

You still need to authorise this for upload to the snap store on behalf
of an individual user, though: the store doesn't have an equivalent of
organisations.  It's possible (though I don't know the exact details) to
add other team members as collaborators, allowing them to publish new
versions of that snap too.

Cheers,