udev rules

Jamie Strandboge jamie at canonical.com
Tue Mar 21 21:52:15 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-03-21 at 18:11 +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Jamie Strandboge <jamie at canonical.com>
> wrote:
>

> > The aksusbd case seems like it could be covered by existing interface
> > techniques. The providing snap slots the hasp interface and that interface
> > could
> > add udev rules that point to (the snappy command aliased)
> > /snap/bin/aksusbd.
> > There is probably a little thought to be had there since it assumes the
> > aksusbd
> > alias and that might be somewhat awkward for different slot
> > implementations.
> >
> Would it make sense to point at a hook for this? The command to handle udev
> events doesn't necessarily need to pollute the PATH namespace.

It could-- that would need design. /snap/bin is already there now, so I
mentioned it *could* be done that way. Adding something to the udev backend in
snapd so that you can specify a command to run seems plausible; just needs
design.

> > This would all work for gadget snaps that provide the /dev files (like with
> > serial-port, etc) and won't work for classic/hotplugging.
> >
> Are you saying these rules would be limited to /dev files described in the
> gadget?
>
> Why wouldn't this work for classic/hotplugging?

I just meant *today* it will work for gadgets and not classic/hotplugging. We
should absolutely make classic/hotplugging work, so please add your use cases to
the discussion.

--
Jamie Strandboge             | http://www.canonical.com