classic 32 bit application

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 06:10:26 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I'm trying to package a 32 bit software development environment: Pharo
Smalltalk (http://pharo.org).

I've got it working OK as a devmode package, but as soon as I switch it
to classic confinement it fails to run.

The error message displayed when attempting to run the executable is "No
such file or directory"

Attempting to print the shared object dependencies from within a snap
shell with ldd results in:

$ ldd /snap/pharo/x1/usr/bin/pharo-vm/pharo
not a dynamic executable

Since the only change is the confinement from devmode to classic and
I've checked that the executable file does actually exist, and it's the
same one as in devmode, my current hypothesis is that somehow the 32 bit
environment isn't working properly in classic mode, probably because it
isn't configured correctly, and not that there's a problem with the
executable.

Are there any known problems with 32-bit applications and classic
confinement, or anything in particular that needs to be configured for
it to work properly?

Thanks very much,
Alistair