ubuntu-image 0.7ubuntu1

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Tue Oct 11 18:12:29 UTC 2016

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 12:01 PM, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> hi,
> On Di, 2016-10-11 at 10:53 -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> >
> > Let me ask this: would you prefer a cli option/envar over declaring
> > it in the
> > gadget.yaml, and if so, why?  My problem with the cli/envar is that
> > it hides
> > the configuration in your shell history, instead of declaring it up
> > front in
> > the yaml file.  The latter allows you to point to an image and say,
> > "this was
> > created with that gadget.yaml" and be done with it, without also
> > having to
> > specify the particular magic you used to run the tool.

+1

defining it in the gadget would be rather awful since that means if we
> use an identical image for cloud, VM  and "normal PC install" we would
> need a gadget per image just for that one difference ... (the pc image

We need a different gadget for those cases anyway, right?  We don't want
cloud-init probing arbitrary addresses on someone's data center.

I agree with Barry here. I'd prefer to encourage people to make gadget.yaml
be reproducible.

Also, it seems nicer to encode sizes precisely than to have a "factor"
which pads the image based on external factors, for the same reason.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net