ubuntu-image 0.7ubuntu1

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 11 20:56:34 UTC 2016

hi,
On Di, 2016-10-11 at 15:12 -0300, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:

> We need a different gadget for those cases anyway, right?  We don't
> want cloud-init probing arbitrary addresses on someone's data center.
>
> I agree with Barry here. I'd prefer to encourage people to make
> gadget.yaml be reproducible.
>
> Also, it seems nicer to encode sizes precisely than to have a
> "factor" which pads the image based on external factors, for the same
> reason.

well, it means that you can not use the pc image in kvm, vmware,
virtualbox, vagrant anymore ...

i agree that we will likely need a pc-cloud gadget now that the switch
that decides if we use or do not use cloud-init lives in the gadget
snap ...

i think for the VM case that would be pretty bad since it means we need
to test our pc image on real hardware additionally to testing the kvm
image to make sure both cases get functional testing.

not to mention that we will have to duplicate a lot space for close to
identical images on cdimage.

and we will indeed have to maintain lots of identical gadget snaps
just for one line diffs.

ciao
	oli