ubuntu-image 0.7ubuntu1

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Tue Oct 11 21:20:36 UTC 2016

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 5:56 PM, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> hi,
> On Di, 2016-10-11 at 15:12 -0300, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> >
> > We need a different gadget for those cases anyway, right?  We don't
> > want cloud-init probing arbitrary addresses on someone's data center.
> >
> > I agree with Barry here. I'd prefer to encourage people to make
> > gadget.yaml be reproducible.
> >
> > Also, it seems nicer to encode sizes precisely than to have a
> > "factor" which pads the image based on external factors, for the same
> > reason.
> >

> well, it means that you can not use the pc image in kvm, vmware,
> virtualbox, vagrant anymore ...

You can use the same image for whatever you need. One image, one gadget.

If it has changes in size, then it's not the same image anymore.

i agree that we will likely need a pc-cloud gadget now that the switch
> that decides if we use or do not use cloud-init lives in the gadget
> snap ...
>
> i think for the VM case that would be pretty bad since it means we need
> to test our pc image on real hardware additionally to testing the kvm
> image to make sure both cases get functional testing.

Whatever is aimed at VM should be tested in the VM. If it's aimed at real
hardware, it should be tested in real hardware. If it's the same image,
then the same image should be tested on both.

But that's all obvious, so I probably don't understand the point being made.

not to mention that we will have to duplicate a lot space for close to
> identical images on cdimage.

Again, I don't understand. If the images are the same, we don't duplicate
images. If they have different, then we need to duplicate them regardless.
None of that is changing.

and we will indeed have to maintain lots of identical gadget snaps
> just for one line diffs.

I suggest not doing that then.. just resist the temptation to have trivial
differences in size for hardware that can run the same thing.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net