ubuntu-image 0.7ubuntu1

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Tue Oct 11 22:49:49 UTC 2016

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 6:45 PM, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> > You can use the same image for whatever you need. One image, one
> > gadget.

if you define no image size today and use ubuntu-image today you
> (should) get a 300MB image that you dd to a device ... on startup,
> before the first mount occurs the image gets resized to the full disk
> size and it gets made sure that your GPT backup table sits in the right
> place at the end of the disk.
>
> if you start to hard code sizes you lose all this flexibility, you will
> already not be able to use the pc image on a 2GB USB key today simply
> because we hard code the size for it to ~3GB just for the kvm use case.

Please re-read the point I made above. I didn't talk about resizing at all.

One gadget, one image. If it makes sense for a category of devices to
resize, let's figure the best way to represent that in gadget.yaml.

(...)

> so you think we should have a pc.img, a pc-kvm.img, pc-vmware.img and a

pc-cloud.img using the same kernel the same core snap and apart from
> one line the same gadget ?

If all of these environments can run with the exact same image, by all
means let's have a single image.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net