ubuntu-image 0.7ubuntu1

Jamie Bennett jamie.bennett at canonical.com
Wed Oct 12 19:19:31 UTC 2016

> On 12 Oct 2016, at 20:04, Gustavo Niemeyer <gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com> wrote:
>
> We've discussed multiple times in meetings and threads that we want to represent the content of the images accurately inside gadget.yaml. The fact we're not yet doing that is a bug that we need to fix, and if there's disagreement we should talk about it.
>
> The whole point of redesigning these tools is to evolve the status quo towards something we are aiming at with underlying goals. If we are going to rush it in, we can just pick up the tooling we had (or the hack you mention) and put the images out.

There is a pragmatic decision to be made here: what is the ideal situation, which we can probably agree will be the gadget.yaml definition, and what can we do to provide a stable platform that is expandable going forward? Given the time we have left before our final Ubuntu Core 16 milestone we should give weight to solutions that work and are expandable for the future. We all know that after this date much goodness will come; we will change things, adding and improving in addition to what has already landed, but for the release we need something practical. Can we implement a solution that can be backwards compatible but also extensible enought to cover the use cases we know about now but allow changes to be made to other ancillary tools when we are less under pressure to release?

Regards,
Jamie.