Looking for general device building overview

MikeB mabnhdev at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 22:16:58 UTC 2016

I feel like I am stumbling around in the dark as I'm learning about getting
Ubuntu-Core running on new devices.  I'm discovering things in a bottom-up
direction and I think I'm not seeing some basic concepts that Canonical
engineers take for granted.  I've trolled through the Ubuntu sites and
mailing lists trying to get good overview and understanding about subjects
but have come up empty or, at best, sparse.  Learning about concepts
through a mailing list "keyhole" is very difficult.

I think I'm way off on my knowledge about the following.

* Assertions/Model Assertions - I see them mentioned, but have no idea what
they are.
* Gadgets - Again hear and see them a lot, but no clue what they are.  How
can I create and use one for my target platforms.
* ubuntu-image - No idea of its status or how to use it.
* ubuntu-device-flash - Using it now from a recipe but don't know much else
about it.  Is it obsolete?

Any pointers to good overviews or documentation would be appreciated.

Regards, Mike