Snapd fails to start in my custom ubuntu-core

MikeB mabnhdev at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 22:17:00 UTC 2016

I'm looking to run OpenSwitch on several new whitebox switch platforms with
Snappy/Ubuntu-Core as the native OS.

Each of these platforms requires a custom kernel in order to boot.
Each of these platforms requires at least one custom kernel driver to
access the network ASIC.
Each of these platforms is initially loaded using ONIE.

I currently use snapcraft and the kernel plugin to create a custom kernel
snap for each platform.  I apply any necessary kernel patches during the
pull stage through a custom plugin.  I inject the custom .ko driver files
into the parts/kernel/install between the build and stage phases of
snapcraft.

I then use 'ubuntu-device-flash core 16 --channel=edge --kernel=$snap
--gadget=pc --os=ubuntu-core -o $IMG' to create an image.

I then use kpartx and ONIE scripts to create an ONIE NOS Installer from the
image I created.

The most critical problem I have now is that snapd fails to start on my
target systems.  No snapd, no snaps.   I assume it is because 'Sep  8
10:56:02 localhost snap[853]: error: cannot read assert seed dir: open
/var/lib/snapd/seed/assertions: no such file or directory'.  However, I
also see many instances of the following message: 'Sep  8 11:06:34
localhost snapd[1689]: error: cannot downgrade: snapd is too old for the
current system state (patch level 3)'.

Regards, Mike