Problems/Issues with Ubuntu-Core created via ubuntu-image

MikeB mabnhdev at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 10:34:13 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 4:04 PM, MikeB wrote:

> The first problem is that once I boot the system and install the
> hello-world snap, then reboot, the snapd is unable to start up.  So no more
> access to snaps.
>
> I've had this problem before and fixed it by using the ubuntu-core from
> the regular channel rather than the edge.  However, when I leave out the
> '-c edge' from ubuntu-image, it fails trying to fetch the gadget.
>
> The second problem is that
> ​​
> firstboot setup fails every time.
>
> I see this message in the syslog...
>
> error: cannot create state: state "/var/lib/snapd/state.json" already
> exists
>
> The third problem is I see 'Failed to start Notify bootloader that boot
> was successful'.
>
> I see this message in the syslog...
>
> error: cannot downgrade: snapd is too old for the current system state
> (patch level 4)

​I used the technique described in [1] to workaround the gadget fetch
problems when working in the default channel.  This has solved my first and
third problems - snapd unable to start after rebooting after installing the
first snap.​

​The second problem - ​
​
firstboot setup fails every time - is still occurring.

However, a new issue has appeared - a very long bootup time.

>From 'Starting Initial cloud-init job (metadata service crawler)...' to
getting a login prompt now takes about 260 seconds.  This happens on every
reboot.

About 60 seconds is spent in 'Started Update resolvconf for networkd DNS.'

Another 80 seconds is spent  "Calling '
http://169.254.169.254/2009-04-04/meta-data/instance-id'"

Another 120 seconds is spent  "Calling 'http:///latest/meta-data/instance-id'"
- that is the default gateway for the subnet, which, as fara as I know,
does not have an http server.

Any ideas on how I can get back to reasonable boot times?

Regards, Mike

[1] https://github.com/CanonicalLtd/ubuntu-image/blob/master/docs/notes.rst