Getting QT apps running.

Dietmar Winkler dietmar.winkler at dwe.no
Fri Aug 5 15:07:02 UTC 2016

Hi,

so I finally spend some time again on this. Since I could not get the
menus to work under standard Ubuntu Unity 16.04 I thought maybe it's
not the snap but something that does not agree within the desktop
manager.

So I simply installed ubuntu-mate-desktop and logged into standard mate.

Then I rebuild the IPE application with three variants of plugs. I.e., in

https://github.com/dietmarw/snaps/blob/master/ipe/snapcraft.yaml#L59

With:
1.   plugs: [x11, home]
2.   plugs: [unity7, home]
3.   plugs: [x11, unity7, home]

The result? ALL of those build worked flawlessly under Ubuntu Mate
whilst under standard Ubuntu Unity (on the very same machine I get:

1.   plugs: [x11, home]    > ipe doesn't launch but also no errors in
the terminal
2.   plugs: [unity7, home] > ipe launches without menu
3.   plugs: [x11, unity7, home]  > ipe launches without menu

Since ipe doesn't use any unity speciific stuff the right plug should
actually be simply x11 (and as the FAQ pointed out
https://github.com/otfried/ipe-wiki/wiki/FAQ#ipe-doesnt-work-correctly-on-ubuntu
even when run natively one needs to remove the appmenu-qt5 package to
get the menu).

Question that still stands is why although appmenu-qt5 is NOT present,
IPE would run when natively compiled (also under Unity) but only under
non-unity desktop when build as a snap.

Any idea how to explain this behaviour?

/Dietmar/