Guidance on deprecating debs for snaps

Marco Ceppi marco.ceppi at canonical.com
Wed Aug 17 21:28:32 UTC 2016

Hello!

Today we have packages in xenial that provide software which I intend to
provide as snap only going forward. Since I'm generally lazy, and don't
want to do both snap and debs of the software, snaps are a huge win in
simplicity of release for me.

Has anyone deprecated debian packages yet in favor of snaps? My end goal is
people who've installed the debian package from the xenial archive will get
an updated debian package which no longer is the software but instead
either guides them to installing the snap or installs it for them.

Are there guidelines for how to do this? Has anyone tried before? Or should
we not tangle these two yet?

Marco