Guidance on deprecating debs for snaps

Seth Arnold seth.arnold at canonical.com
Wed Aug 17 21:41:33 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 09:28:32PM +0000, Marco Ceppi wrote:
> Has anyone deprecated debian packages yet in favor of snaps? My end goal is
> people who've installed the debian package from the xenial archive will get
> an updated debian package which no longer is the software but instead
> either guides them to installing the snap or installs it for them.

This sounds like a surprising and inconsiderate thing to do to our
users. There's probably still time to get your transitional package into
yakkety before feature freeze (or file for a feature freeze exception) but
once it was shipped in an LTS we've agreed to support it for five years.
(Where "support" is of course variable -- for main, we support it. For
universe, the community supports it and someone will sponsor updates.)

Be sure to consider how 16.04 LTS -> 18.04 LTS upgrades will work. We also
support LTS to LTS upgrades.

Thanks