xterm

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 2 08:02:53 UTC 2016

Le 01/11/2016 à 14:55, Joe Coates a écrit :

> The main app in my snapped feature wants to initiate some xterm
> sessions and run a different local snap command in each.  However, I
> can’t manage to get a terminal emulator of any sort to behave
> correctly within the snap (if they startup at all, then they cannot
> receive keystroke input).  I have tried xterm, rxvt, and the vte-based
> sakura as staged-packages.   Plugging to the X11 slot interface (and
> even Unity7) seems to have no effect.    They build OK but fail at
> runtime with similar failures :
>

> >/snap/exfab/x1/usr/bin/sakura: error while loading shared libraries:
> libgtk-3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> >/snap/exfab/x1/usr/bin/rxvt-xterm: error while loading shared
> libraries: libX11.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file
> or directory
>
> >/snap/exfab/x1/usr/bin/xterm: error while loading shared libraries:
> libXft.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>

> My target machine is a Xenial VM in VirtualBox . . .
>
> Does anyone do terminal emulation from a snap ?

This is still quite hard to achieve nowdays (I did try myself half a
year ago with byobu/tmux), due to a couple of issues:
- you need for most of them to have some /dev/pts access, and no
interfaces as of today exists to mediate this.
- you can't execute a snap command from another snap.

I remember that we discussed a couple of months ago about a "shell" or
similar interface to get that done. I'm ccing Gustavo to see if he has
more news on those to share with us.

Cheers,
Didier