Cross platform snap creation?

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 14 13:23:45 UTC 2016

Hi Peter

While snaps are currently Linux-only, there is good progress on a range
of related fronts in the Windows Subsystem for Linux ("Ubuntu for
Windows") which makes it plausible that snaps could be built on a future
Windows as easily as on native Linux today.

On Linux, currently most snaps are built on Ubuntu. They don't have to
be - the format doesn't require it, and those snaps can run on other
distributions even if built on Ubuntu - but the main 'snap assembly'
tool is snapcraft which currently assumes Ubuntu. At the most recent
gathering of snap developers we figured out a path to have diverse base
Linuxes (say a Fedora core library set) as well as to have snapcraft
building on a range of Linux distros, but I can't say when that will be
in place.

Electron is *great* and we'd like to have a standard way for folks using
electron to publish a snap. One of the nice things about snaps is that
you have an 'edge' channel into which you can release daily builds from
your CI, and highly engaged / crazy community members and developers can
thus easily run the trunk. Same goes for beta and release candidate, the
channel system is very useful.

Mark