New ubuntu-device-flash cannot use own gadget snap?

Loïc Minier loic.minier at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 1 00:36:15 UTC 2016

Hi,

I wanted to capture one of the issues that was encountered.

ubuntu-device-flash snap can not work from an Ubuntu Core system; this is
because it calls kpartx with the -s flag which relies on libdevmapper
coordinating with its udev counterpart. Because dmsetup isn't installed in
the core image, the udev signaling never comes back.

To sum up:
- Ubuntu classic + kpartx -avs: works
- Ubuntu Core + kpartx -avs: hangs
- Ubuntu Core + kpartx -av: works

I wanted to mention this for people who try running ubuntu-device-flash
from an Ubuntu Core system.

(Various workarounds would be possible but because ubuntu-device-flash
ought to be replaced by ubuntu-image soon it's probably not worth
addressing right now.)

Cheers,
- Loïc Minier

--