Stuck in Ubuntu Core Profile Setup

MikeB mabnhdev at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 10:47:14 UTC 2016

On 01-Sep-2016, MikeB wrote:

1. I see a message saying 'Contacting the Store', then get the error
> "Creating user failed: error: bad user result: cannot create user for
> <e-mail address>: no ssh keys found" -- OR -- 2. I immediately see the
> error "Creating user failed: error: bad user
> result: cannot create user "<e-mail address>": Get
> https://login.ubuntu.com/api/v2/keys/<email-address>: dial tcp: lookup
> login.ubuntu.com on [::1]:53: read udp [::1]:40286->[::1]:53: read:
> connection refused I'l usually see the first error on the first try and
> the second error on
> subsequent tries until I power-cycle the target switch. In either case, I
> can never get past this setup, so as I said above, my
> target switch is now a brick. Can someone tell me how to get past this
> screen so that the boot completes
> and I can get back to work?

​I went to my Ubuntu One account and ​imported my Public SSH Key and I was
able to successfully complete the 'Profile Setup'.  I hadn't realized that
my account even required a public key.  So, I'm now pass the 'Profile
Setup' and can use the switch again.

However, I have some concerns about this new feature...

1. I'm concerned that the bootload just "froze" with no indication that it
was looking for manual intervention.
2. I'm concerned that there was no obvious way to bypass this profile setup
and get on with the boot.
3. I'm concerned that network equipment has to be registered to a
particular user that has to have an Ubuntu One account with an imported
public key.  In my particular case, these switches are used by many
developers.  I don't want all the developers forced to create Ubuntu One
accounts and I don't want to give all the developers my Ubuntu One
credentials.
4. When the unit finally booted, I was unable to perform a 'sudo snap
install hello-world'.  I encountered what looked like network errors.  I
rebooted the switch and then was able to 'snap install'.  It doesn't look
like the first boot left the network configuration in a good state as the
boot finished up.

Regards, Mike