Stuck in Ubuntu Core Profile Setup

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 1 16:38:05 UTC 2016

Hi Mike

You are seeing the bootstrapping of a brand new all-snap OS, sorry for
the rough patches but we have just added this first-boot experience. The
rest is shaping up very nicely, that part is just brand new. We expect a
usable image on Friday this week, and a release candidate later in the
month.

This new Ubuntu Core 16 image is shaping up to be something we can be
very proud of:

 * everything is a snap and those snaps are super-fast and
super-transactional
 * the bootstrap process is very factory-friendly for people making
physical appliances
 * there is a very strong security foundation that raises the bar for
all appliances and IoT

This first-user experience addresses some long-standing issues that have
bugged me about Ubuntu across cloud and devices for nearly a decade!

 * the 'ubuntu' default user is removed so appliance vendors have much
more brand control
 * we eliminate default users from the bootstrap process
 * we work the same way from cloud to edge appliance

Apologies again for the rough spots in the first code drop, but I bet
you love the end result.

Mark