Let's kill "sideloading"

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Fri Sep 2 14:37:22 UTC 2016

Hi Oliver,

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 4:07 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> does it actually matter what *we* use ? its the slang of the android

kids, it is what they know and will use when talking about the topic of

installing local packages,

The terminology we use for our conversations absolutely matters. The
problem is precisely that people using "sideloaded" today already have a
clear picture in mind of what it means, and when you have richer semantics
that don't match what they mean, using the term does more damage than it
helps.

Speaking of terminology, it also feels a bit awkward to be talking about
Android developers as "kids". I know you mean it well, but it's derogatory.

> no matter what we say in our marketing docs

This is not about marketing. It's about what we talk on our daily
conversations.

> i dont mind changing it in docs or watching my personal language to not
> use it if we decide on a term, but i doubt the crowd will follow if you
> dont find a term that feels like a natural replacement for them...

In my experience terminology used daily by the larger development group
always ends up being used everywhere. Both the good terminology and the bad
one.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net