Let's kill "sideloading"

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Fri Sep 2 13:58:36 UTC 2016

Hey Victor,

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 4:14 AM, Victor Palau <victor.palau at canonical.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the case of installing snaps from the local file system, where will the
> assertions require to installation reside? Also in the local file system?

The knowledge of which assertions are being respected is internal to snapd.
It may be fed new assertions at any point by running "snap ack
file.assert", and it also retrieves new assertions from the server end when
necessary during operations (install, etc).

> I can see this use case when either the snap is not yet in the store
> (during development) or the device has no access to the/a store (maybe
> behind a firewall)

Right. It effectively disentangles system knowledge from access to a
particular server or network.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net