Fwd: Re: 4G on Dell IoT Gateway

Carlo Lobrano c.lobrano at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 07:59:19 UTC 2016

Hi Oriol,

according to this output

Status   |           lock: 'unknown'
          | unlock retries: 'unknown'
          |          state: 'failed'
          |  failed reason: 'sim-missing'
          |    power state: 'on'
          |    access tech: 'unknown'
          | signal quality: '0' (cached)

it looks like the SIM is not recognized at all, like it was not there. If
the problem was only the PIN lock, the status should be something like

lock: 'sim-pin'
state: 'locked'

in this last state, you could send the pin using

mmcli -i <SIM_ID> --pin=<PIN>

or the others sim related mmcli commands.

Sorry for the silly question, but are you sure that the SIM is properly
inserted?

Best regards,
Carlo

Hi Oriol,

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 4:04 PM, Oriol Rius <oriol.rius at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, again about Dell IoT Gateway 5000 with Snappy 15.04 I have a problem
> trying to set up a 4G connection using nmcli and mmcli without success.
> Simple capabilities doesn't work and Dell support it's slow and
> insufficient.
>
> My first problem starts trying to validate the PIN. But in the end what I
> need is a simple tutorial or manual that help me how to set up the internet
> connection. I found some information reading mailing lists and googling,
> but everything is imprecise and incomplete. About the modem I use:

First, note that the HE910 is a HSPA modem and does not support 4G.

You can try to activate cellular data with these steps:

1. Deactivate SIM PIN with another device
2. Execute these commands:

nmcli c add type gsm ifname ttyACM3 con-name gsmconn apn <your_operator_apn>
nmcli r wwan on

As you see you need to use nmcli instead of mmcli because we are
controlling the modem from NetworkManager so it can take control of the
connection and configure routes.

HTH,
Alfonso

> # mmcli -m 0
>
> /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0 (device id
> 'b73aa014c0d2097ce1e62fd9aa2a82c6f8dc6307')
>  -------------------------
>  Hardware |   manufacturer: 'Telit'
>           |          model: 'HE910-D'
>           |       revision: '12.00.086'
>           |      supported: 'gsm-umts'
>           |        current: 'gsm-umts'
>           |   equipment id: '356136070745999'
>  -------------------------
>  System   |         device: '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:
> 00:14.0/usb1/1-4/1-4.1'
>           |        drivers: 'cdc_acm, cdc_ether'
>           |         plugin: 'Dell'
>           |   primary port: 'ttyACM3'
>           |          ports: 'ttyACM3 (at), wwan0 (net), ttyACM0 (at)'
>  -------------------------
>  Numbers  |           own : 'unknown'
>  -------------------------
>  Status   |           lock: 'unknown'
>           | unlock retries: 'unknown'
>           |          state: 'failed'
>           |  failed reason: 'sim-missing'
>           |    power state: 'on'
>           |    access tech: 'unknown'
>           | signal quality: '0' (cached)
>  -------------------------
>  Modes    |      supported: 'allowed: 2g, 3g; preferred: none'
>           |        current: 'allowed: any; preferred: none'
>  -------------------------
>  Bands    |      supported: 'unknown'
>           |        current: 'unknown'
>  -------------------------
>  IP       |      supported: 'none'
>  SIM      |           path: 'none'

>  Bearers  |          paths: 'none'
>

> Can you recommend any resource that help me on that?
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Regards.
> Oriol

an/listinfo/snapcraft