More Ubuntu-Core boot up problems...

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 7 09:52:47 UTC 2016

hi,
On Mi, 2016-09-07 at 10:11 +0100, Victor Palau wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> We are seeing a similar issue, my understanding is to create a
> working image right now for the edge channel you require a model
> assertion. However, the changes to upload your key to the store, so
> you can sign your own model assertion and the right tools to then
> build an image from (ubuntu-image) have not quite landed yet.
>
> That might be why firstboot.service is failing, which I believe will
> preclude you from accessing console-conf to be able to set up a user
> to ssh into the box.

the two are unrelated ... console-conf starts in any case so you can
always set up an ssh user (as long as you have network access on the
device and a store account with ssh key in launchpad least)

depending on the console (console-conf isnt actually great with serial)
you will not see the "please press enter" message that starts the
config tool though. if you press enter anyway it will start the config
UI after a while.

the failing firstboot service is indeed most likely related to a
missing model assertion, but that should not prevent you from having a
booting img or from being able to use console-conf to set up an admin
user. it will (currently) only affect any snap related bits of the
system (install, upgrade, roll back, searching for snaps etc).

if firstboot would actually block the boot without model assertion,
porting to a new device would be nearly impossible :)

ciao
	oli